Officiant & Elopement Packages
Wedding Venues & Locations
Online Wedding Scheduler
Marriage License Requirements
Marriage Licensing Offices
Wedding Photo Gallery
Testimonials, Cards & Letters
Wedding Planning and Eloping Resources
News: Romance in the Spotlight
New Orleans Events:
Allstate Sugar Bowl in January
Please BOOKMARK our website so you can find us again and we can save money on pay-per-click advertising fees when you return.
Requirements for Obtaining a Marriage License in Orleans Parish, New Orleans, Louisiana
News: I accept Texas Marrriage Licenses in addition to Louisiana Marriage Licenses. And they are Legally Binding if you get married in New Orleans, Louisiana.
By law, Texas marriage clerks can issue marriage licenses that are valid outside of Texas. Additionally, residency in Texas is not required. You do not need to live in Texas -- or Louisiana to obtain a marriage license and get married in Louisiana, so couples from anywhere can use this option for their conveniece.
Please check with the County Clerks in those states for details.
If you need to obtain a Louisiana Marriage License:
REQUIREMENTS FOR OBTAINING A MARRIAGE LICENSE ORLEANS PARISH, NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA
In order to apply for a marriage license, both parties must be present and present all required documents. If a party is absent, the application will only be accepted if their signature on the application has been separately notarized. If the absent party is a member of the US armed forces, a copy of a military ID can be accepted in lieu of a signature, but at least one party’s in-person signature is required to submit an application.
Applicants must present the following:
1. A current driver's license, current state ID or passport.
2. A "certified" copy of a birth certificate or a "certified" birth card for both parties. (A certified translation must be attached, if the birth certificate is not in English.) (The birth certificate requirement can be waived by a judge.) If not born in the US or a US territory, the applicant(s) must also present a valid passport or a visa with attached I-94 form. (Please note that these must be certified government issued documents. Photo copies and hospital issued documents will not be accepted.)
3. Both applicants must provide their Social Security numbers if born in the United States. If not born in the US or a US territory, the applicant(s) must present a valid passport from their country of birth or a visa with attached I94 form.
4. If either party has been divorced, the individual must provide a certified copy of the final divorce decree. A widow or widower must provide a certified copy the death certificate of the former spouse when they apply for a license to marry.
5. Fees of $27.50 payable by cash, check, or money order only (non-refundable), plus $5 for each certified copy of the marriage certificate desired by the customer. CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS ARE NOT ACCEPTED FOR PAYMENT.
An Application to Obtain an Orleans Parish Marriage License is available and may be completed by the parties prior to applying in person.
NEWS: Effective August 1, 2018, the waiting period between obtaining a marriage license in Louisiana and the actual ceremony is 24 hours, and it can be waived as presently prescribed by Louisiana Law.
Judges of the First or Second City Courts are authorized by law to waive the waiting period for Louisiana residents and they can do this during their Monday-Friday hours of operation ONLY.
If both parties reside outside of Louisiana and the services will occur in Orleans parish AND be performed by a registered Orleans officiant, that officiant can waive this waiting period.
The waiver must be attached to the completed marriage certificate when it is returned to Vital Records.
Applicants over the age of 16 but less than 18 must have the signed consent of both parents or an order from a Judge of Juvenile Court.
Females under 16 will be issued a license ONLY upon the written order of the Juvenile Court Judge.
A marriage license expires and becomes invalid at midnight thirty (30) days after the date of issuance. If the service is postponed beyond the expiration date, you must return the expired license and purchase a new one.
You are encouraged to purchase one or more certified copies of your final Marriage Certificate when you apply for your license. Certified copies of a Marriage Certificate cost $5.00 + a $.50 mailing charge per transaction.
MARRIAGE LICENSE: $27.50 CASH, CHECK, OR MONEY ORDERS ACCEPTED (CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS MIGHT NOT BE ACCEPTED) ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
I hope this information is helpful.
This web site is owned and operated by Romance in New Orleans and Samantha McGovern. © All Rights Reserved. No part of its original material may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, without written permission, except for the inclusion of a brief quotation in a review. (2004-2019)